The Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Home Collection Program provides Thousand Oaks residents a free and convenient way to properly dispose of household hazardous materials right from your doorstep. Simply call (805) 852-5264 to schedule a pick-up and instructions will be sent to you. HHW home collection is only available to Thousand Oaks residents.
To schedule a pick-up call (805) 852-5264 or click:
Package up your materials and place as directed. Items must be smaller than 5 gallons and total materials must not exceed 15 gallons or 125 lbs. This program is not intended for bulky item collection (e.g., large appliances, white goods, anything with freon, and large electronics with screens greater than 27 inches).
- Consolidate materials in a cardboard box or plastic bin no larger than 5 gallons. (5-gallon buckets from hardware stores are a convenient option). The box/bin should be sturdy enough to support the weight of the individual containers. If using a box, tape along the seam on the bottom for added support.
- Place a clear plastic liner inside the box or bin. If using a box, fold flaps inward then place the plastic liner inside. Make sure to keep the box or bin open so staff can see the contents.
- Use newspaper to cushion items so as not to fall or tip over.
- Do not stack items.
- Place items upright.
- Ensure containers are sturdy and have lids or tops securely fastened. Never transport an open container.
- Original containers with labeling are recommended – label contents yourself if the label is unclear. This is helpful for staff to identify material in a container.
- Seal any leaking containers in a sealable bag or in a larger non-leaking container.
- Lamps and thermometers (items commonly containing mercury) should be carefully packaged to prevent breakage.
- Keep batteries and heavy items separate from fragile items to avoid breakage.
- Package compact fluorescent (CFL) tubes in the box they came in or wrap a rubber band around them to prevent rolling and breaking. Do not use duct tape because it can shatter the bulbs.
- Never mix materials in a single container.
When and Where to Place Materials on Your Scheduled Pick-Up Date:
- By 7:00 am, place your box(es) or bin(s) of HHW Items on your front porch or near your front door. Materials must be on your property and visible from the street.
- Do not place materials at the curb or in the public right-of-way.
- HHW staff cannot enter your residence, including your garage.
- A receipt of pick up will be left notating the quantities and description of what was picked up. Any items not permitted for pick up will be left behind and notated on the receipt.
- See a list of accepted materials on the back of this instruction sheet.
Alternatively, to drop-off of your household hazardous waste materials any Friday or Saturday at the City HHW facility, call (800) 356-8570 or click www.toaks.org/hhw. APPOINTMENTS ARE REQUIRED.