Trash and Recycling Collection
Athens Services is the Exclusive City-contracted provider of weekly trash, recycling, and organics collection services for residential and Multi-family complexes with individual cart service (MFD-I) in Thousand Oaks. For service questions or to initiate service, contact:
- Athens Services
Telephone: (805) 852-5264
Solid waste service rates are set annually by City Council. For questions about solid waste service in Thousand Oaks contact the Public Works Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (805) 449-7283.
See the links below for more information on trash and recycling programs:
- Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility Appointments and Information
- Medicine and Sharps Disposal
- Electronic Waste Disposal
- HHW Home Collection Program
- Free Bulky Item Collection
- Beverage Container Recycling Centers
- Construction & Demolition Debris
- Bin & Dumpster Rental
- Document Shredding
- Free Landfill Disposal Day
- Holiday Collection Services
- Residential 2023 Solid Waste Rates
- Reuse/Donation Centers
- Organics Waste Collection (Food & Yard Waste)
- Simi Valley Landfill Rates & Guidelines
- City Ordinance No 1688-NS on Solid Waste, Organic Waste, and Recyclable Materials Collection, Processing, and Disposal
Wondering what goes in what bin? Check out Athens Services What Goes Where Recycling Guide to find out what waste items go where. Just type in any unwanted item and it will tell you what to do with it.
Curbside Collection Guidelines
- Trash, recycling, and yard trimmings carts may be placed out for collection service after 4:00 p.m. the day BEFORE your regular collection day, and up to 8am the day AFTER collection day. Municipal Code 6-2.503 requires that carts be stored out of general public view at all other times.
- When putting carts out for collection, place them on the street against the curb, rolled curb, swale, or driveway approach so that the containers do not impede pedestrian or disabled accessibility on the public sidewalk or right-of-way (6-2.503a).
- Place carts side-by-side at least one (1) foot apart and three (3) feet from parked vehicles or other obstructions (see diagram below).
- Cart handles and wheels should face toward your home.
- Cart lids must be kept closed at all times except when loading and collection time. Please do not overfill carts.
- Carts may not be serviced if they are over-filled or exceed maximum container weight, are inaccessible, or contaminated with unacceptable material.
- Carts must be filled so that material will fall freely when serviced.
- To report a household not in compliance with the trash cart policy, fill out our online form. Upon receiving a complaint about trash carts out, City staff will visit the address and the following will occur:
- For the first violation observed, a "Notice of Violation" door hanger will be placed. The first violation notice is a warning; no citation or fine will be issued.
- For second (or more) violations observed within a 12 month period, a "Notice of Violation" door hanger will be placed and an administrative citation (with fine) will be issued and mailed to the resident. Repeat violations will result in fines up to $500 per occurrence.
Additional Trash and Recycling Information
- Senior Discount: Individuals at least 65 years of age that are head of household are eligible for a 10% reduction off the basic rate. For details, contact Athens Services at (805) 852-5264.
- Service Level Discounts: Reduced levels of service are available for smaller households with limited waste collection needs. Contact Athens Services for additional information and to make adjustments to your service.
Learn more about the greenhouse gas emissions caused by solid waste disposal and strategies to reduce waste in Thousand Oaks.