construction wood debris

Construction and Demolition Debris

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

As much as 30% of the waste that goes to landfills is construction and demolition (C&D) debris. Most of this material is recyclable, including asphalt, concrete, wood, metal, and cardboard. Recycling this material conserves natural resources and saves valuable landfill space.

In compliance with the California Green Building Standards Code* (CalGreen), and the City's Construction & Demolition Debris Recycling Ordinance (No. 1639-NS), construction and/or demolition projects that meet the thresholds outlined below are required to divert a minimum of 65 percent of construction and demolition (C&D) waste from landfill disposal through recycling or reuse. In order to ensure that all projects in the City are compliant, building permit applicants must submit a Debris Recovery Plan for approval before receiving a permit and a Final Report at the time of Final Inspection of their project.

What Projects Must Comply with CalGREEN Building Standards Code*?

• All new construction of permitted structures 
• All demolition of permitted structures 
• Additions and alterations to residential buildings that require a permit.

• All new construction of permitted structures 
• All demolition of permitted structures 
• Permitted additions or alterations of 1,000 SF or more, and/or with a valuation of $200,000 or more (Tenant Improvements).

Click here to download the Construction & Demolition Debris Recycling brochure

Click here to submit your Construction and Demolition Debris Recovery Plan through Green Halo Waste Tracking Systems.

C&D Recycling QR Code with instructions

Click HERE for a Step-by-Step Guide (PDF)

C&D Recycling FAQ

How much does this cost? 

$0. There is no cost or fee to submit your C&D Debris Recovery Plan.

Why do I have to complete this requirement? 

It is State & Local law. The Construction & Demolition Debris Recycling Ordinance (No. 1639-NS) requires that certain demolition and/or construction projects divert at least 65% of project-generated waste through recycling or reuse, in compliance with California Green Building Standards Code. 

Which waste disposal facilities am I required to use?

While the City does not require contractors and waste haulers to dispose of C&D debris at specific facilities, the contractor or property owner is responsible for ensuring that their project meets the City's 65% debris diversion requirement. Contractors and property owners should do their research and choose disposal facilities or practices that will achieve this requirement.  

Projects that generate mixed waste debris should dispose of the materials at a mixed C&D processing facility that will attain and verify at least 65% diversion. The nearest mixed C&D processing facility is located approximately 10 miles north-east of Thousand Oaks at the Simi Valley Landfill.

Additionally, the City of Thousand Oaks currently accepts material processing at facilities certified by the Los Angeles Bureau of Sanitation. Contractors utilizing any of these certified facilities must use the listed Mixed C&D Debris Recycling Rate in determining their diversion rate on the C&D Recycling Plan and the C&D Recycling Report.

Who can haul construction & demolition waste in Thousand Oaks?

The City utilizes a Limited Franchise system for temporary waste collection, which includes construction & demolition waste hauling. Currently there are four Limited Franchise haulers who are authorized to provide temporary waste collection service in Thousand Oaks. 

Additionally, property owners or construction contractors may self-haul debris using their own vehicles.

Visit the Construction, Demolition and Temporary Waste Services Page for more information about authorized haulers and waste disposal facilities.

For information, please email


2016 California Green Building Standards Code (CALGreen) Part 11 of Title 24, California Code of Regulations. The applicable sections for residential construction can be found in Section 4.408 and in Section 5.408 for most non-residential new construction. Sections 301.1.1 and 301.3 addresses additions and alterations diversion requirements.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer