Do you have a family pet emergency preparedness plan? If not, please use our Animal Emergency Guide as reference to help get you started. For valuable information on keeping your pets safe and comfortable when an incident happens, please use the following links:
Community Animal Response and Evacuation Group
American Red Cross Pet Disaster Preparedness
FEMA Disaster Survival For Animals Takes Planning
American Veterinary Medical Association - Disaster Planning
Ready.gov - Pets and Animals
Go Pet Friendly (To find Pet Friendly Hotels)
- Store enough food and water to last for 72 hours, preferably for one week.
- Manual can opener and plastic lid. Litter/litter box.
- Plastic bags for cat litter disposal and dog clean-up.
- Blankets or towels. Recent photos of your pet.
- Prepare a shelter or evacuation kit for your pet, including an unbreakable dish, current vaccination records, a restraint (sturdy leash or pet carrier) and medication with instructions.
Prepare a first aid kit for your pet and include large and small bandages, elastic tape, scissors, tweezers, cotton swabs, antibiotic ointment, hydrogen peroxide (to induce vomiting or to clean deep wounds), eye wash (saline), ear cleaning solutions (chlorhexidem, epi-otic), and any special medication prescribed by your veterinarian.
Keep your pet's license current and make sure that a collar and identification tag are worn at all times.
During an Emergency
The primary emergency contact for Thousand Oaks residents regarding their pets is the Agoura Shelter, 29525 Agoura Road, Agoura Hills. During an emergency, special information regarding the care and rescue of animals may be obtained by calling (818) 991-0071. If telephone lines are busy due to an emergency, visit the shelter personally. For incident updates visit vcemergency.com.
Residents searching for pets that have been lost due to an emergency should contact or visit Ventura County Animal Services. The telephone number is (805) 388-4341 and the LA County Animal Care & Control, telephone number is (818) 991-0071.