Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

What is the City doing?

In 2016, a study completed by the City, concluded that treated groundwater is a viable alternative to imported water for irrigation and potable water use. The study recommended the rehabilitation of the existing Los Robles Golf Course (LRGC) groundwater well and construction of a groundwater treatment facility as the initial step in citywide groundwater utilization program.

Subsequently, in 2018, a study was conducted to evaluate the potential of developing LRGC groundwater well as a source of irrigation and potable water. The study showed that roughly 10 percent of city’s current water usage could be offset with treatment of the LRGC groundwater to potable level. The study looked at three critical issues: sustainable flow from the LRGC well, treatability, and brine disposal process. The study recommended a pilot testing to better optimize the process prior to full-scale treatment implementation. The pilot test which started in March 2019 and completed in November 2019 allowed the City to obtain performance data for two different options in treatment systems, assess and optimize performance to refine system design, and reduce treatment system life cycle costs.

Where is this City doing this work?

The existing LRGC groundwater well, at 299 S Moorpark Rd, Thousand Oaks, will serve as the initial phase of groundwater utilization for irrigation and potable use.

Why is the City doing this?

The cost of imported water continues to increase. At the same time, reliability of this source is not as certain due to drought and environmental challenges. A local groundwater source would be more reliable and cost effective than imported water.

What are the impacts from this project?

Because there are three main water suppliers within Thousand Oaks (California American Water Co in Newbury Park, City Water System in central Thousand Oaks, and California Water Service Co in Westlake), arrangements still need to be made as to who will finance, construct, own, operate and maintain new groundwater wells and related facilities. The study concluded that better quality groundwater exists in the western areas of the city, which would result in lower costs due to lower treatment requirements.

When is the City doing this work and how long will it take?

Prior to planning for the full-scale treatment facility, the City intends to complete additional testing to further evaluate the groundwater basin's characteristics and well's sustainable yield.

What if I still have questions?

For more information, please contact Ayda Forouzan, the City’s project manager at .