The Thousand Oaks Police Department aims to equip residents to be partners in preventing and reporting crime. Below you will find resources to assist in our goal of reducing crime as a community.
Crime prevention begins with you. Learn how to protect you and your family from becoming a victim of crime.
Report A Crime
Parents will find resources on everything from child safety on the internet to child abuse.
Community Resources Centers are located within the City to provide specific services such as home security and finger printing.
Avoiding False Alarm Fees
The Thousand Oaks Police Department responds to approximately 2900 alarm calls per year and 99.6% of these are false alarms! Most false alarms are not caused by a mechanical problem with them alarm system but rather by those who use the system. Avoid false alarms and the fees associated with them by:
- Training each person who will use the alarm system
- Knowing how to cancel a false activation- have your alarm company's contact info handy
- Check all doors and windows before setting the alarm
- Don't block beams and motion detectors
- Be sure there is no movement in motion detected areas- this includes pets and objects
- Maintain the system- back up batteries don't last forever
*Fees: first 2 false incidents per calendar year are waived. Third= $100 fine, Fourth= $200 fine, Fifth or more= $500 fine
*Additionally, resident and business are not required to register or apply for a City permit for alarm systems