Paying Your Parking Citation
Below are the ways you can pay for your parking citation:
- In person at City Hall Finance Department
- Mail payment to address on citation
- Pay online at www.parkingticketpayment.com/thousandoaks (convenience fee applies)
- Pay by phone at (805) 449-2600 (convenience fee applies)
Registered vehicle owners of unpaid tickets will be mailed a courtesy reminder notice within one month of the citation date. If not paid after the due date on the notice, the ticket will be attached to your DMV registration in the amount of the citation, plus additional fees and penalties. Please refer to current User Fees.
Contesting a Citation
You may contest your parking ticket within 21 days of the issuance of the citation or 14 days from the mailing date of the courtesy reminder notice. You can appeal online by visiting www.parkingticketpayment.com/thousandoaks and following instructions. You can also view photos of the violation (not available with all citations).
The State of California Department of Motor Vehicle Code mandates that anyone contesting a parking citation complete a full review process. City employees or the City Council cannot simply dismiss a parking citation. There is a standard appeal process that all citizens must follow.
Contesting a citation is a three-step process
Step 1. - Administrative/Initial Review
The Administrative Review determines if the citation was properly issued.
Visit www.parkingticketpayment.com/thousandoaks to submit your appeal. You may view photos that were taken at the time of violation (if available) and attach any documents or evidence you would like to submit.
Within 30 days, the Thousand Oaks Police Department Traffic Bureau will review the citation based on the written information you have provided to determine if there is sufficient proof to rule that: - the violation did not occur; the registered owner was not responsible, or extenuating circumstances prevented you from complying. An e-mail will be sent to you with the results of this review. If you are found to be “Not Liable” the citation will be dismissed. Your citation will be cancelled and you do not need to take any further action.
If you are found to be “Liable”, you may schedule an administrative hearing to be conducted by an independent hearing officer (see step 2).
Step 2. - Administrative Hearing
If you are not satisfied with the results of the Administrative/Initial Review, you may request an Administrative Hearing either in person or by written declaration. You must request an Administrative Hearing within 21 days of the date of the Administrative/Initial Review decision. After 21 days you are no longer eligible for an Administrative Hearing.
- Please contact the Finance Department no later than the due date identified on the results letter for the Administrative Review to arrange a hearing and schedule the date and time of the hearing.
- State Law Requires that you pay all fines owed on the citation before you can request an Administrative Hearing. If the Hearing Officer finds in your favor, you will be issued a refund. A deposit* in the amount of the citation fine is required prior to schedule the hearing.
The Hearing typically runs no longer than 15 minutes and is held at the East Valley Sheriff Station. The Hearing must take place within 90 days from the date on the Notification of the Results of the Administrative Review. Hearings are scheduled on the first Tuesday of each month. If the Hearing Officer determines that you should not be held liable, the fine deposit will be refunded in full.
* If you have limited assets, you may file a form to request a waiver of the deposit. If granted, this does not forgive the citation fine if found liable by the Hearing Officer. It only waives the requirement to place a deposit prior to scheduling the Administrative Hearing.
Step 3 - Appeal
If you are found liable by the hearing officer and wish to continue contesting the citation, you may appeal the decision at Superior Court. You must request an appeal within 30 days of the Hearing Officer's decision. You must file for the appeal in person at the Superior Court. There is a filing fee per citation required by the Court, which will be refunded to you if the commissioner rules in your favor. You will also need to present the written Administrative Hearing decision at the time the appeal is filed. The written administrative hearing decision is submitted as evidence for the court appeal.
Parking citations appeals may be filed at the address listed below:
Ventura County Superior Court Criminal Traffic Division,
Hall of Justice Room #118
800 S. Victoria Ave.
Ventura, CA 93009
Phone: (805) 654-2611
Please contact the Court for specific instructions on how to file an appeal. The Appeal is a hearing where the Court will review the decision of the Hearing Officer. You must complete steps 1 and 2 prior to appealing with the Superior Court.
You may qualify for a payment plan on your parking citation if the following criteria is met:
- Your monthly income is less than 125% of the federal poverty guidelines (https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines) or you are on a qualified government assistance program listed here:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and State Supplementary Payment (SSP)
- California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids Act (CalWORKs)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- County Relief, General Relief (GR), or General Assistance (GA)
- Cash Assistance Program for Aged, Blind, and Disabled Legal Immigrants (CAPI)
- In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)
- Application for qualification is received within 60 days from the issuance of the parking citation or within 10 days after the administrative decision is sent, whichever is later.
A minimum payment of $25 per month is required to maintain your payment plan. Please call Customer Service at (805) 449-2201 for further information or to obtain an application or download the application form here.
Call Public Services at (805) 449-2201. Our business hours are 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Thursday and 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM alternate Fridays. City Hall is closed every other Friday.