Thank you for choosing the City of Thousand Oaks to conduct your business! We look forward to working with you on your business venture and for your business to be a part of our community. The City's Business Licensing Staff are here to provide you with assistance and information to obtain a new or renewed business license.
- Click here to pay the outstanding balance online.
- Click on "Pay an outstanding balance for business license".
- Enter your account and pin number then click on the Find Account button
- On the next screen, select the Payment Method and follow the instructions. A convenience fee is added if paying by credit or debit cards. There is no convenience fee if paying by echeck.
- Due date to renew business license without penalty is February 29, 2024.
- Business License renewal notices for calendar year 2024 were mailed by 12/1/2023.
- To renew your business license ONLINE, you will need your account and PIN numbers. If your business license tax is calculated based on gross receipts, you will need to provide your 2023 actual gross receipts (not 2022).
- If your previous license expired prior to or on 12/31/2022, please call our office at (805) 449-2201 to reinstate the business license.
Apply for a New Business License
To apply for a new business license online (not renewal), please click HERE.
The Thousand Oaks Municipal Code requires all businesses located in the City of Thousand Oaks or doing business within the city limits of Thousand Oaks to obtain a business license prior to conducting business. Business tax is an annual tax that you pay each calendar year for operating a business within the City of Thousand Oaks. All business licenses expire on December 31st. Business licenses must be renewed on January 1st of each year and become delinquent on March 1st. The City issues a courtesy notice at the end of the calendar year to remind you that license fees are due. However, it is your responsibility, as the business owner, to renew by the last day of February.
To print an application form, click on the appropriate link below. Save the file and open using Adobe Reader to sign these forms electronically. You may submit your application via email, mail or fax.
BUSINESS ADDRESS IS IN THE CITY LIMITS OF THOUSAND OAKS
BUSINESS ADDRESS IS NOT IN THE CITY LIMITS OF THOUSAND OAKS
Upon receipt of the business license application and other required forms, your application will be reviewed, approved and processed. You will be notified by email to pay the taxes and fees online, by mail or over the phone.
Request a Copy of Your License/Business Tax Certificate
You can request a copy of your license/business tax certificate ($11 processing fee) by calling 805-449-2201.
Specialty Permits and Other Forms
To print the application forms, click on the links below. Save the file and open using Adobe Reader to sign these forms electronically. You may submit these application forms via email, mail or in person. If unable to come in during business hours, you may use the white drop box labeled “Water & Sewer Payment” to submit your application form and payment.
CANNABIS DELIVERY SERVICE
CANNABIS - COMMERCIAL RETAIL
MOBILE CAR WASH (other than mobile car detailing), Mobile Auto Repair and oil change businesses, and Food and Catering Truck Businesses on private properties require to complete the Administrative Action form.
SOLICITOR - DOOR TO DOOR
TAXI CAB COMPANY
TAXI CAB DRIVER
No Longer in Business / Closing the Business License
If you are no longer in business in the City of Thousand Oaks, please notify our office so we may update your business license accordingly. To use the online service to close your business, click here and login using your account number and web pin on your renewal.
- If you closed or sold the business after the expiration date of your current license, you must renew the license for the current year and we will inactivate for future renewals.
- If you closed the business prior to the expiration date of the current license, use the online service to close your business, click here and login using your account number and web pin on your renewal.
- If you sold the business prior to the expiration date of the current license, return the renewal notice or copy of the last business tax certificate with a note when the business was sold, name of the new owner and sign the statement.
Business License State Laws
SB 205 - NPDES PERMIT REQUIREMENTS (Industrial General Permit for Storm Water Discharges Associated with Industrial Activities) – Senate Bill 205 Stormwater Discharge Compliance – BPS Section 16000.3 - Effective January 1, 2020, “a business who conducts a business operation that is a regulated industry, as defined in Section 13383.5 of the Water Code, shall demonstrate enrollment with the NPDES permit program …” To avoid delay in the issuance of your Business Tax Certificate, you must submit the current NPDES permit when renewing the license. For more information regarding NPDES permits, please call the City’s Environmental Compliance at (805) 449-2499.
AB 498 - VETERAN EXEMPTIONS – Veterans meeting this bill’s requirements are exempt from paying business licensing fees. For more information and to confirm eligibility regarding Assembly Bill 498, please visit https://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetServices/Pages/Business-License-Tax-and-Fee-Waiver.aspx. If your business is qualified under this exemption, please contact our office at (805) 449-2201.
AB 1379 - DISABILITY ACCESS - Under Federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:
• The Division of the State Architect's at https://www.dca.ca.gov
• The Department of Rehabilitation at www.dor.ca.gov
• The California Commission on Disability Access at https://www.dgs.ca.gov/CCDA
CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF TAX AND FEE ADMINISTRATION (CDTFA) - Administers sales and use, fuel, alcohol, and cannabis taxes, as well as a variety of other taxes and fees that fund specific state programs.
• Visit their website, www.cdtfa.ca.gov, for specific information about the programs, how to register for permits and licenses, and how to file and report correctly.
• The CalGold website, www.calgold.ca.gov, is a comprehensive website that assists business owners in finding the appropriate permit information for their business. It also provides contact information for the various agencies that administer and issue permits, including those for cities, counties, and various other departments.
Business License Listings / Reports
New online resource is available to search for Business Licenses located in the City of Thousand Oaks in commercial buildings. You can search by Business Name, Business Address, or Business Type and further refine searches using a Start Date range.
New Business License listings for the last twelve (12) months are available online. Click the links below for the monthly listings of all new businesses located in the City of Thousand Oaks in commercial buildings. Home-based businesses are not included.
BUSINESS LICENSE REPORTS
Requests for Business License Reports is available by completing the Request for Business License Report Form and to be submitted to Customer Service with the appropriate fee.