The City is committed to being open and safe. You can learn about our road to reopening at https://www.toaks.org/business/economic-development/road-to-reopening.
CITY HALL IS CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
Thank you for doing business in the City of Thousand Oaks. We look forward to working with you on your business venture and for your business to be part of our community. The City's Business Licensing Staff are here to prove you with assistance and information to obtain a new or renewal of your business license.
An active City of Thousand Oaks business license is required if you are doing business in, or your business is located within, the City of Thousand Oaks.
Renewing a City Business License
- Business located inside the City limits of Thousand Oaks: currently not eligible for online renewal. Please call our office at (805) 449-2201.
- Businesses based outside the City limits of Thousand Oaks: you may renew or pay the license online if you have a 2019 or 2020 business license number and a PIN number. If your previous license expired prior to 1/1/2019, please call our office at (805) 449-2201
Paying Outstanding Balance
- Click here to pay the outstanding balance online.
- On the next screen, click on “Renew License”
- Enter your license number and pin number then click on the Search button
- On the next screen, click on “Pay Outstanding Balance” located at the bottom corner of the screen. Do not click “Renew”.
- On the next screen, click “Pay Bill” located at the bottom corner of the screen. You have the option to pay by credit card (Visa or Mastercard) or e-check.
Request a Copy of Your License
You can request a copy of your license by calling 805-449-2201. ($11 processing fee)
Apply for a New Business License
You can get a business license at the Public Services Counter in the Finance Department, located on the second floor of the Civic Arts Plaza/City Hall (City Hall Hours, Monday - Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and alternating Fridays 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.). Select the business license application below that describes your business.
Home Office in Thousand Oaks
- Business Located Inside City Limits in a Home Residence
- Contractor Business Located Inside City Limits in a Home Residence
Commercial/Industrial Location in Thousand Oaks
- Business Located Inside City Limits in a Commercial Location
- Contractor Business Located Inside City Limits in a Commercial Property
No Office Location in Thousand Oaks
Special Category Businesses
If your business is any of the following, please contact Public Services by calling (805) 449-2201 and request the appropriate applications and permits; they are not currently available online.
- Street Vendor
- Sidewalk Vendor
- Solicitors/Door to Door
- Temporary Sales (example: Holiday Tree lot)
- Firearms Dealer
- Taxi Driver
- Tow Trucks
- Film Companies
- Entertainers/Live Entertainment
- Massage Technicians
- Health Clubs
- Non Profit Organizations
- Second Hand Dealer/Pawn Broker*
* Once you have spoken to a Public Services Representative regarding the application process and requirements, use the following link to submit the Department of Justice License application: https://capss-licensing.doj.ca.gov/public/applications/new?ori=CA0560000
To access translated versions of the Disability Access Informational Notice, see the Division of the State Architect Publications
About Business Licenses and Business Tax
Business tax is an annual tax paid each calendar year for operating a business within the City of Thousand Oaks. All business licenses expire on December 31. Business licenses must be renewed on January 1st of each year and become delinquent on March 1st.
The City mails a courtesy notice at the end of the calendar year to remind you that your license fees are due. It is your responsibility, as the business owner, to renew by the last day of February.
Listings of business licenses issued can be found here: