Business Licenses

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Open and Safe

The City is committed to being open and safe. You can learn about our road to reopening at


Thank you for choosing the City of Thousand Oaks to conduct your business!  We look forward to working with you on your business venture and for your business to be a part of our community. The City's Business Licensing Staff are here to provide you with assistance and information to obtain a new or renewed business license.  

City Hall is open to walk-in traffic starting May 10, 2021.


Renew City Business License 

  • To renew your business license online, please have your 2020 business license number and PIN number. If your business license tax is calculated based on gross receipts, please also be ready to provide your 2020 actual gross receipts (not 2019).
  • If your previous license expired prior to 12/31/2019 or you do not have a 2020 business license, please call our office at (805) 449-2201. 


Apply for a New Business License

To apply for a new business license online (not renewal), please click here

The Thousand Oaks Municipal Code requires all businesses located in the City of Thousand Oaks or doing business within the city limits of Thousand Oaks to obtain a business license prior to conducting business. Business tax is an annual tax that you pay each calendar year for operating a business within the City of Thousand Oaks. All business licenses expire on December 31st. Business licenses must be renewed on January 1st of each year and become delinquent on March 1st. The City issues a courtesy notice at the end of the calendar year to remind you that license fees are due. However, it is your responsibility, as the business owner, to renew by the last day of February.

To print an application form, click on the appropriate link below. Save the file and open using Adobe Reader to sign these forms electronically. You may submit your application via email, mail or fax.

Business Located Inside City Limits in a Home Residence
Business Located Inside City Limits in a Commercial Location
Contractor Business Located Inside City Limits in a Home Residence
Contractor Business Located Inside City Limits in a Commercial Propert

Business Located Outside City Limits
Contractor Business Located Outside City Limits

Upon receipt of the business license application and other required forms, your application will be reviewed, approved and processed. You will be notified by email to pay the taxes and fees online, by mail or over the phone. 

Pay Outstanding Balance

  • Click here to pay the outstanding balance online.
    • On the next screen, click on “Renew License”
    • Enter your license number and pin number then click on the Search button
    • On the next screen, click on “Pay Outstanding Balance” located at the bottom corner of the screen. Do not click “Renew”.
    • On the next screen, click on “Pay Bill” located at the bottom corner of the screen. You have the option to pay by credit card (Visa or Mastercard) or e-check. 

Request a Copy of Your License/Business Tax Certificate

You can request a copy of your license/business tax certificate ($11 processing fee) by calling 805-449-2201. 

Specialty Permits and Other Forms

To print the application forms, click on the links below. Save the file and open using Adobe Reader to sign these forms electronically. You may submit these application forms via email, mail or in person.  If unable to come in during business hours,  you may use the white drop box labeled “Water & Sewer Payment” to submit your application form and payment.

CANNABIS DELIVERY SERVICE  -  Municipal Code / New Application Packet / Quarterly Tax Return Form



HEALTH CLUBS  -  Municipal Code  /  Surety Bond Form  /  Exemption Form


MASSAGE ESTABLISHMENT - Municipal Code / Application Packet - No Background Check is Required 

                                                      Application Packet - Background Check is Required 

MOBILE CAR WASH -  Administrative Action Form 



SOLICITORS - DOOR TO DOOR  -  New Application Packet / Renewal Packet


SIDEWALK VENDOR  -  New Application Packet








No Longer in Business / Closing the Business License

If you are no longer in business in the City of Thousand Oaks, please notify our office so we may update your business license accordingly.

  • If you closed or sold the business after the expiration date of your current license, you must renew the license for the current year and  we will inactivate for future renewals.
  • If you closed the business prior to the expiration date of the current license, please return the renewal notice or copy of your last business tax certificate with a note when the business was closed and sign the statement.
  • If you sold the business prior to the expiration date of the current license, please return the renewal notice or copy of the last business tax certificate with a note when the business was sold, name of the new owner and sign the statement.

Business License State Laws

AB 1607 -PREVENTION OF GENDER-BASED DISCRIMINATION - Effective January 1, 2021, Assembly Bill 1607 requires the prevention of gender-based discrimination of business establishments. A full notice is available in English or other languages by going to

SB 205 - NPDES PERMIT REQUIREMENTS (Industrial General Permit for Storm Water Discharges Associated with Industrial Activities) – Senate Bill 205 Stormwater Discharge Compliance – BPS Section 16000.3 - Effective January 1, 2020, “a business who conducts a business operation that is a regulated industry, as defined in Section 13383.5 of the Water Code, shall demonstrate enrollment with the NPDES permit program …” To avoid delay in the issuance of your Business Tax Certificate, you must submit the current NPDES permit when renewing the license. For more information regarding NPDES permits, please call the City’s Environmental Compliance at (805) 449-2499.

AB 498 - VETERAN EXEMPTIONS – Veterans meeting this bill’s requirements are exempt from paying business licensing fees. For more information and to confirm eligibility regarding Assembly Bill 498, please visit If your business is qualified under this exemption, please contact our office at (805) 449-2201.

AB 1379 - DISABILITY ACCESS - Under Federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:
• The Division of the State Architect's at
• The Department of Rehabilitation at
• The California Commission on Disability Access at

Business License Listings / Reports


New Business License listings for the last twelve (12) months are available online. Click the links below for the monthly listings of all new businesses located in the City of Thousand Oaks in commercial buildings. Home-based businesses are not included.

New Business Licenses Monthly Listings

Requests for Business License Reports is available by completing the Request for Business Tax Report Form and to be submitted to Customer Service with the administrative fee.

Request for Business Tax Information Form



Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer