Thousand Oaks City Hall is closed to the public until further notice.
(Updated March 25, 2020)
The Community Development Department will continue providing services, although the means of providing them has changed and there may be delays. The declared emergency is an evolving situation. Please check this web page regularly for updates on building services.
Community Development Department staff are working on alternative solutions to continue providing counter services and accepting applications. Once these solutions are in place, information will be posted here.
- As of March 25, 2020, the following building permit types CAN be submitted via email or fax:
- Residential fixture changeout (service panel, water heater, A/C, bathroom fixture remodel, gas or sewer line replacement or repair).
- Small Solar PV (with plans, specifications and calculations if needed (see Solar PV webpage)
- Window change outs
- Retrofits with NO structural elements (with floor plan and window change out worksheet)
- Residential remodels involving NO structural elements (with floor plan and/or site plan)
- All other permit types CAN NOT be submitted at this time. Staff is reviewing options for submittal. Please check back regularly for updates.
- Building inspections may only be scheduled online through Click2Gov or through the automated Interactive Voice Response system by calling (805) 449-2500 option 2, then option 1. Two-hour inspection windows will not be provided for building inspections. Inspections will be held between 8:00 AM and 3:00 PM. Please call your inspector directly the day before the inspection for more information.
About the Building Division
The Building Division exists to protect the public against hazards associated with the construction, use and occupancy of buildings and structures, and to contribute to the City’s quality of life. This Division ensures the City's built environment complies with codes designed to safeguard public welfare, such as life, health, and property.
Residents can be assured the highest level of plan review and inspection services are provided to our customers. Staff is committed to protecting residents and their property by enforcing building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical standards. In addition the City oversees State mandated requirements that regulate design, construction, quality of materials, use and occupancy, location and maintenance of all buildings and structures within our jurisdiction. For more information, call (805) 449-2500.
- Building Handouts
- Building Permits
- Back to Business Program
- Certificate of Occupancy
- Residential Resale Reports Application
- Records Requests/Request to View or Obtain Copies of Plans (Building or Planning)