Now accepting nominations here!
The City of Thousand Oaks Business Recognition Program (BRP or “Program”) is a new program from the City’s Economic Development Division. This program is designed to highlight one exceptional Thousand Oaks business each quarter of the year for special achievements or other unique contributions made to the City relating to economic prosperity, sustainability or resilience, or other activities fostering continuous community enrichment in Thousand Oaks.
To be eligible for a Thousand Oaks BRP Award, a business must be:
- Commercially located (“brick and mortar”) within the City of Thousand Oaks (Home-based businesses are not eligible for this recognition program)
- A for-profit business (Nonprofit organizations are not eligible for this recognition program)
- Have five (5) or more employees
- In good standing with the City (No outstanding taxes or fees)
- Not a previous recipient of a Thousand Oaks BRP Award
To be considered for this recognition, a nominee must demonstrate accomplishments relating to one or more of the following areas:
- Longevity in the City: The business has operated within the City for ten (10) or more consecutive years.
- Business growth: The business shows substantial growth in the City (e.g., number of employees, revenue, investment attraction, additional locations, etc.)
- Unique community benefit, product or service: The business offers a community benefit, product or service that uniquely adds to the City’s overall economic vibrancy or exquisite character.
- Environmental sustainability leadership: The business has voluntarily developed new or adopted existing clean technology, practices or standards that measurably improve its environmental footprint in the City (e.g., reducing carbon emissions, water conservation, waste reduction, etc.). This could include current Ventura County Green Business Certification status.
- Contribution to Community Enrichment: The business details voluntary service on government and/or non-profit boards or committees serving Thousand Oaks residents, voluntary contributions to a community project in the form of hours or financial means, partnership with local university to provide internship/hiring opportunities to local talent, or other likeness.
Nominations are open to the public. Self nominations are accepted. The online nomination form can be found here. Once submitted, you will receive a confirmation of receipt.
Nominations are accepted on a rolling basis with specific submission deadlines to be considered for each quarter. The deadlines for submission for each quarter are as follows:
- February 1st (for Q1)
- May 1st (for Q2)
- August 1st (for Q3)
- November 1st (for Q4)
Awardees will be selected by the City’s Economic Development staff with input from our partners at the Greater Conejo Valley Chamber of Commerce.
Submissions that are not selected for recognition in the first quarter following submission will roll over into the next quarter’s competitive pool for award for reconsideration. Submissions will roll over a total of three (3) times. If recognition is still not attained after four (4) total quarters of consideration, the nominator will receive notification to update their submission for an additional four (4) quarters of reconsideration.
- Formal City Council recognition: Each quarter, the City Council will recognize the awardee selected for the quarter during a City Council meeting.
- The Award: The award will consist of a framed certificate acknowledging the business of the quarter. The awardee will also receive a decal to display in their business window indicating their awardee status.
- Written acknowledgements: The awardee will be recognized on the City’s Economic Development website and in its Economic Development Newsletter with a brief excerpt highlighting key reasons for selection. The Chamber of Commerce will also showcase awardees in its Weekly View publication and on their social media.
- State of the City Address acknowledgement: All four (4) awardees for the year will be highlighted once more during the Annual State of the City Address.