The Visioning Report was presented to City Council on February 10, 2015. The report includes Guiding Principles, Action Items, and results from each of the five Committees. View the report
About the Visioning 2064 Program?
The City of Thousand Oaks celebrated its 50th year as an incorporated City in 2014. City Council established a “2064 Visioning Program” to look forward to the next 50 years and plan for the future. The program was presented in a staff report and approved by City Council in March 2014. View the report.
A community exercise was developed and a general road map with guiding principles for the City through the year 2064 was produced. Each City Councilmember led a focus area and five groups met monthly from April to October 2014. The five committees were:
Civic and Community
At the conclusion of Visioning 2064, each Committee reached a consensus on the Top Ten Guiding Principles for the City to implement over the next 50 years. These guiding principles cover themes and priorities established within each of the five committees.
Visioning 2064 Top Ten Guiding Principles
1. Support the development of various mentoring relationships between businesses, adults, and youth to develop job skills, life skills, and social development.
2. Foster an environment that allows students to pursue academic excellence in a safe, healthy (physical and mental), and drug and crime-free atmosphere.
3. The City, and its partners strive to maintain a strong quality of life including public safety, education, cultural affairs, health care, open space, and recreation to promote economic vitality.
4. Secure additional long-term funding sources to complete the planned ring of open space and trail system around the City.
5. Continue commitment to being an environmental leader on topics such as climate change adaptation and reduction, zero waste, zero net energy, water use, and greenhouse gas reduction and develop a Climate Action Plan, including allocation of necessary resources.
6. Promote residential responsibility for water conservation.
7. Create a pedestrian-friendly downtown.
8. Continue to promote water conservation in the maintenance of City parks and landscaping
9. Ensure police officers are trained and focused on the need for improved communication skills over physical strength and development.
10. Continue to protect the City's data and enhance public awareness of privacy and security issues.
Visioning 2064 Kick-Off
On March 26, Futurist Joel Kotkin spoke to a crowd of residents in the Scherr Forum to kickoff the Thousand Oaks "Visioning 2064" program. Participants of all ages listened to new and innovative ideas to help shape the future of Thousand Oaks. Watch the video below of Joel Kotkin's presentation: