I have a problem with bees.
For bee concerns on City property, please contact the
City of Thousand Oaks Municipal Service Center at (805) 449-2499 or e-mail Visit Africanized Honey Bees for more information.

Are there regulations on the maximum permissible number of pets?
Yes.  You may have no more than three dogs and no more than three cats.  For additional information, please call Public Works Department at (805) 449-2400.

I have a dangerous animal/snake on my property.
Contact the Agoura Shelter at (818) 991-0071.  Animal Care & Control staff work under the direction of the California Department of Fish and Game in dealing with wildlife and predatory animals such as mountain lions and coyotes.

I have a large residential lot.  Can I have a horse or other farm animals?
Whether or not you are allowed to maintain farm animals depends on the zoning of your property. In the Rural-Agricultural (RA), Rural-Exclusive (RE) & Single Family Estate (RO) zones, horses and farm animals are allowed. In the Single Family Residential (R-1) zone, farm animals may be kept if the lot is at least 20,000 square feet in size and the property owner first obtains a Farm Animal Permit from the City. In the Residential Planned Development (RPD) and Hillside Planned Development (HPD) zones, farm animals may be allowed only if specifically permitted under the conditions of the residential development permits. If you want to know the zoning designation of your property or if you have further questions regarding farm animals, please call Community Development at (805) 449-2323.

Residents also are advised to check their Covenants, Codes and Restrictions (CC & R’s) and Homeowners’ Association requirements and restrictions before bringing any farm animal onto their property.

I have a problem with barking dogs.
Any excessive barking (over and above the normal barking of dogs) is a violation of the City ordinance. Complaints from citizens will be investigated by Animal Control officers. Citizens may request an Animal Noise Complaint Form from the Agoura Animal Shelter by calling (toll-free) (818) 991-0071. They may also file a complaint by sending a personal letter to the Agoura Shelter, 29525 Agoura Road, Agoura Hills, CA 91301. Anonymous complaints are never considered.  Complainants are encouraged to discuss their concerns with the animal owner prior to filing a complaint because situations can often be rectified at that level. Within several business days after receiving a complaint, an officer will visit the home of the animal owner, discuss the situation, offer possible solutions such as the purchase of a "bark collar", and deliver a Notice to Abate which gives the owner 15 days to correct the problem. If problem persists, the complainant needs to notify the shelter. A petition form will be mailed to the complainant for acquiring signatures of other neighbors also bothered by the barking and willing to appear in court (as explained on the petition form). Upon return of the petition form from the complainant, Animal Control will work with the City Attorney’s Office concerning further steps to be taken. These may include the issuance of a citation to the animal owner which will require his appearance in court and the possible payment of fines.

For more information, contact the Community Development Department, at (805) 449-2323.

I have a problem with rats & other pests.
For problems with rats and mice, please call the County of Ventura Department of Environmental Health at (805) 654-2813.

Removing or eliminating the availability of food and water will often encourage these animals to leave.  Some helpful tips include:

  • Remove unused pet food and water bowls at night.
  • Keep tight fitting lids on garbage cans or store garbage inside a secure area. Do not store trash in trash bags.
  • Gardens should be harvested frequently and fruit picked up.
  • Keep pet access doors locked.
  • Seal up entry holes in and under buildings, eaves, air ducts and decks.  Before completing final seal on the last entry point on a building or deck, it is wise to make sure no animals are trapped inside. Environmentally sound repellents and habitat modification are all viable, nonlethal strategies in dealing with wild animals.
  • Wild animals may be kept away from roof areas by pruning tree branches 10 feet from roof and by keeping climbing plants cut away from roof area and eaves.
  • Food and water should never be intentionally left out for wild animals.

I have a sick or injured pet.
Contact your veterinarian.  If you find a sick or injured animal, contact the Agoura Animal Shelter at (818) 991-0071.

I have been bitten by an animal.
You should seek medical attention immediately for any animal bite.

I have lost my pet.

It is very important that you personally visit the animal shelter that services your city or area. Then visit other shelters nearby. When you arrive at the shelter, be certain to ask to see all of the found animals, including found animals that are being held in the hospital or observation wards. Ask about any injured animals that may have been taken to a private veterinarian or that were picked up sadly, dead off the street.

Each County Animal Shelter has a lost and found bulletin board for posting information about lost pets. In addition, shelter staff and shelter volunteers work hard at trying to match up lost pets with their owners.

I want a dead animal removed.
Please contact the Agoura Shelter at (818) 991-0071 (toll free from Thousand Oaks) for removal of a dead animal.

I want a fishing license.
Visit the California Department of Fish and Game website for license information and fees.

I want to adopt a pet (dogs, cats & rabbits).
Adoptable animals may be seen at the Agoura shelter.  Most adoptable animals are pictured on the Animal Care and Control website. The website address is

29525 Agoura Road
Agoura Hills

Phone: (818) 991-0071

Click to View
Click to View

I want to give away my dog or cat (for adoption).
Your animal may be brought to the animal shelter.  Be sure to tell the office staff as much as you can about your pet, i.e. housebroken, likes to ride in cars, does not like baths, does not like other cats, gets along with other dogs, etc.  Bring all veterinary records and innoculation certificates that you have.  This will help in the adoption process.

There is a charge of $10 if a field unit is sent out to pick up your pet from your home. There is no charge, however, for you to turn your pet into the County Animal Shelter that services your area if you bring the pet into the shelter.

I want to report a stray dog/cat.
Please contact the Agoura Hills Animal Care & Control Shelter at (818) 991-0071.  There is no charge to bring a stray animal into the shelter. The law requires that any person report the information to authorities within four hours of taking up a stray animal.  It is absolutely critical that any stray animal is turned into the animal shelter that provides service to the city or area where the animal was found. This assists owners greatly in knowing where to start their search for their lost pet.

I want to report an abused pet.
Please contact the Agoura Hills Animal Care & Control Shelter at (818) 991-0071.  Shelter staff will investigate cases of suspected animal abuse and neglect and take appropriate action.

I want to volunteer to work with animals.
Please contact the Agoura Shelter at (818) 991-0071 (toll free from Thousand Oaks) or visit the Agoura Shelter to obtain an application.

Tell me about rabies.
Rabies vaccinations are required for all dogs four months of age or older. Failure to comply may result in a citation and a court appearance. (Calif. Health and Safety Code, Sec. 1920 and County Code Title 10, Sec. 10.20.220).

Although most rabies cases occur in wildlife, most humans are given rabies vaccine as a result of being bitten by domestic animals.  Your pets and other domestic animals can be infected when they are bitten by rabid wild animals. When this occurs, the risk to humans is increased. Pets should be vaccinated by your veterinarian to prevent them from acquiring the disease from wildlife, and thereby transmitting it to humans

What are the leash laws?
No person who owns or has charge of a dog may allow the animal to run at large. Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times when out of their yards. Violation may result in a citation, court appearance, and a fine.

Where are the dog parks?
Conejo Recreation and Park District has a dog park at Avenida de las Flores (northwest quadrant of Conejo Creek).  Please visit the Conejo Recreation and Park District website for hours of operation and dog park rules and regulations.

Where can I get my pet spayed or neutered?
Please contact your private veterinarian or the low-cost spay/neuter clinic at the Agoura Shelter.  The shelter number for appointments is (818) 991-0075 (toll-free from Thousand Oaks).

Where do I get a hunting license?
Visit the California Department of Fish and Game website for license information and fees.

Where do I get a license for my dog/cat?
Licenses may be purchased at the Agoura Shelter and at City Hall (Finance Department).  Annual license fees are $60 for an unaltered dog, $20 for an altered dog, and $7 for an altered dog owned by a senior citizen (60 years and older - proof is required).  A penalty of $20 is assessed for dog licenses not renewed on time.  The City of Thousand Oaks dog license tag is a permanent stainless steel tag, valid for the dog's life. 

Where is the animal shelter and when is it open?
The City of Thousand Oaks contracts with Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control.  The shelter is located at 29525 Agoura Road, Agoura Hills, Telephone:  (818) 991-0071 (toll free from Thousand Oaks).

The shelter is open from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday; closed Sundays and holidays.

Why are dog licenses required?
State law requires that all dogs over four months of age be licensed and vaccinated against rabies.  Licensing protects your pet! You will be reunited quickly if your dog strays from home and is rescued by shelter staff. (Shelters are filled with animals whose owners said their pets "never leave home.")  All monies collected from dog licensing are returned to the City of Thousand Oaks and help defray the cost of the Animal Care and Control program.