The City's Municipal Code requires you to have a business license if you are doing business within, or your business is located within, the City of Thousand Oaks.
Apply for a New Business License
You can get a business license at the Public Services Counter in the Finance Department, located on the second floor of the Civic Arts Plaza/City Hall (City Hall Hours, Monday - Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and alternating Fridays 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.). Select the application below that describes your business.
Home Office in Thousand Oaks
- Business Located Inside City Limits in a Home Residence
- Contractor Business Located Inside City Limits in a Home Residence
Commercial/Industrial Location in Thousand Oaks
- Business Located Inside City Limits in a Commercial Property
- Contractor Business Located Inside City Limits in a Commercial Property
No Office Location in Thousand Oaks
Special Category Businesses
If your business is any of the following, please contact Public Services by calling (805) 449-2201 and request the appropriate applications and permits; they are not currently available in automated format.
- Street Vendor
- Ice Cream Truck
- Solicitors/Door to Door
- Temporary Sales
- Firearms Dealer
- Taxi Driver
- Tow Trucks
- Film Companies
- Entertainers/Live Entertainment
- Massage Technicians
- Health Clubs
- Non Profit Organizations
- Second Hand Dealer/Pawn Broker*
* Once you have spoken to a Public Services Representative regarding the application process and requirements, use the following link to submit the Department of Justice License application:
Business License Renewal and Business Tax
Business tax is an annual tax that you pay each calendar year for operating a business within the City of Thousand Oaks. All business licenses expire on December 31. Business licenses must be renewed on January 1 of each year and become delinquent on March 1.
The City mails a courtesy notice at the end of the calendar year to remind you that your license fees are due. However, it is your responsibility, as the business owner, to renew by the last day of February.