Cooking Oil Clogs Pipe Drains: Leads to Repairs
Do you love to cook or perhaps are planning on deep frying a turkey for the holidays, and wonder what to do with all that leftover fat, oil, and grease?
Even when cooking in minimal oil, it is important not to dump it down the drain or throw it away because not only can used cooking oil be reused and reclaimed, it can also cause serious (and costly) damages to the pipes in your home and community! When oil is thrown in the trash it gets picked up by trash trucks which crush the material, potentially causing grease and oil to leak out of the truck and onto the street.
You may have used hot water to wash fats, oils, and grease (FOG) down your drain – but the water cools and the gunk starts coating the pipes. Similar to a clogged artery, the consistency and pressure of the flow gets reduced until you have a backup and have to call in a plumber.
Oil used to fry food can be reused up to one month (see tips below). When it is time to discard the oil, capture it in a heat-resistant (if it is still warm) container with a sealed lid that can be transported to the City’s Household Hazardous Waste Facility, where it will be sent off to be converted into new products.
Click the links for tips with more information how to recycle and reuse oil safely.
FOG Myths & Facts:
- MYTH: Running hot water from the tap will help FOG move through the pipes.
- FACT: The water temperature cools as it flows through pipes, allowing the FOG to solidify against pipe walls.
- MYTH: It’s best to pour cooking oil down the drain at room temperature.
- FACT: It’s best NOT to pour cooking oil down the drain at all, as it is less dense than water and coats the pipes as it floats on top.
- MYTH: Soap eliminates fat, oil, and grease.
- FACT: Soap breaks FOG up, however it loses effectiveness downstream as more wastewater is mixed together.
The City’s Household Hazardous Waste Facility provides residents with a FREE, safe, and sustainable place to dispose FOG.
Address: 2010 Conejo Center Drive, Newbury Park, CA 91320
Hours of operation: Friday & Saturday 9:00-1:00; by appointment
Accepted Materials: Fat, oil, grease, fertilizer, pesticide, aerosol sprays, oven cleaner, antifreeze, holiday light strands, paint, glue, and much more…
Click here to schedule your appointment today!